Reimagining Classics: NetEnt’s New Divine Fortune Megaways [...]
Jacks or Better Strategy & Tips
- July 26, 2019 By Riley Wilson -
Jacks or Better is one of the most popular Video Poker variants. Its popularity comes from the fact that it is a 9/6 variant, also known as full-pay. It has a high RTP sitting at 99.5%. However, to make the most of playing it, you should apply the optimal strategy. That’s why we have decided to provide you with the Jacks or Better strategy and tips you should stick to if you want to beat the casino.
Jacks or Better Basics
The first thing you should know about Jacks or Better is that you don’t play against other players. It’s only you and the machine. The main goal of the game is to create a hand which includes a pair of Jacks or better. Once you have been dealt 5 cards, you should decide which of them you want to keep or discard. Your final hand is determined in the second draw.
Before you learn an optimal strategy that can help you win in this Video Poker variant, you need to learn the ranking of poker hands. The strongest poker hand is a royal flush that consists of five cards of the same suit – from a 10 to an Ace. Other poker hands include:
- High – A J, Q, K or A
- Pair – two cards of the same value
- Two Pair – two pairs of cards of the same value
- Three of a Kind – three cards of the same value
- Four of a Kind – four cards of the same value
- Straight – five cards in sequential order regardless of the suit
- Straight Flush – five cards of the same suit in sequential order
- Flush – five cards of the same suit
- Full House – a three of a kind plus a pair
Unlike in games based on pure chance, in Video Poker, you need to make moves and each of them affects the outcome of each round. That’s why it is important to learn the strategy and apply it without following hunches. Only by doing so, one can hope to make the best possible result.
If you want to master Jacks or Better strategy, you can look for a full strategy chart online. It will help you learn which cards you should keep or discard based on the cards dealt in your initial hand. In this article, we bring you a few simple steps you can learn and apply whenever you play Jacks or Better.
- When you are dealt a single high card, you should discard the other four cards
- If you are dealt any pair, discard other three cards
- When you are dealt three of a kind, discard other two cards
- In case you have been dealt four of a kind or two pairs, discard the fifth card
- In case you have created a full house, flush, straight, straight flush or a royal straight flush, keep all the cards.
These are some basic steps you should make whenever you play this version of Video Poker. Here are a few more things to keep in mind:
- You should never try to reach a better hand if you have a three of a kind, four of a kind, two pairs or a full house
- Always keep a high pair instead of trying to reach four to a flush or a straight
- Always keep a low pair instead of three cards to a straight flush
- Always keep a low pair instead of four cards to a straight
- Always discard the fifth card when you have been dealt four cards to a royal flush, even when you have been dealt a flush or a straight
- Always keep a high pair unless you have been dealt four cards to a straight flush or a royal flush.
A Few More Tips
Jacks or Better is also popular due to a bonus paid for a royal flush. However, to qualify for it, you need to play at the maximum coins. Take your time and pay attention to every hand so that you can apply the tips given above. Always bear in mind that by applying the optimal strategy, you can turn a losing hand into a winning one.
Visit PartyCasino and start playing Jacks or Better Video Poker with the optimal strategy!